Report from Marist Athletics
ALBANY, New York – The Marist women’s basketball team fell victim to some tough-luck shooting and turnovers as they dropped a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference road game, 58-53, to Siena Thursday afternoon. With the loss the Red Foxes move to 8-10 overall and 4-2 in conference. Siena improves to 8-10 overall and 3-4 in the MAAC.
Siena’s pressure gave the Red Foxes problems all first half, forcing Marist into 10 turnovers. The Saints held leads of 18-14 after the first quarter and 27-25 at the half. Along with the turnovers, the Red Foxes only went to the foul line three times to the Saints 12 trips.
The Marist chipped away at the lead all second half and even cut it to two with little over a minute remaining but the damage was done in the third quarter when the Saints pulled ahead with a 14-8 period. Overall, the Red Foxes finished the game shooting just 21-for-60 from the field to go along with 21 turnovers and just seven trips to free-throw line to Siena’s 31 foul shots.
• Marist had three scorers in double-digits.
• Rebekah Hand finished with 17 points and 8 rebounds along with two assists.
• Marist’s other two scorers in double figures were Willow Duffell with 13 points and Alana Gilmer who scored 12, all in the second half.
• Marist outscored Siena in the paint 24-16 but the Saints held the advantage in points off turnovers with an 18-13 edge.
• Duffell’s 13 points tied a career-high which she set against Navy back in November.
• The Red Foxes are now 1-6 when they turn the ball over more than their opponent and 6-3 in the opposite scenario.
• Marist is now 2-8 when they shoot fewer free throws than its opponent.
Marist will return to action on Sunday, January 21st at home against Rider. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. The Red Foxes will host their annual Hudson Valley Fresh Milk and Cookies Day along with Sunday’s game. Tickets are still available on MaristTickets.com.