report from Marist Athletics
FAIRFIELD – Marist Women’s lacrosse pulled off a close 11-10 win in an exciting game against Fairfield that featured three lead changes and five ties. Samantha Mehalick had another big game with five goals and Kelly George stepped up with two goals and three assists. With the win, the Red Foxes move to 8-5 overall and 4-1 in MAAC play.
Marist and Fairfield exchanged goals in the first four minutes with Marist taking a 2-1 lead. Both team’s offenses went cold the next 13 minutes. The two teams played stellar defense especially on free position shots. Fairfield was finally able to take advantage of an eight meter shot to tie it up and scored on the following play to take its first lead of the game. Devon Connolly’s goal tied it up but Fairfield rattled off two more to take a 5-3 lead. George slipped a goal in to close out the half 5-4 for Fairfield.
The Stags opened the second half with two goals to take their largest lead of the game.
The Red Foxes went on a 5-0 run to reclaim the lead thanks in part to three goals from Mehalick. Fairfield responded with goals from Brooke Gallagher and Kathleen Hulseman to tie it up 9-9. Lauren Mazza and Mehalick found the back of the next to take an 11-9 lead with 5:05 left in the game.
Fairfield was not backing down and scored with 2:24 left to make it a one goal game. With 45 seconds left, Marist turned the ball over giving the Stags one final opportunity to send the game to overtime. Marist fouled and sent the Stags to the eight meter line, but the shot went wide, and Delaney Galvin was able to scoop up the ball to clinch the win for the Red Foxes.
· Marist dominated the draw circle 18-22. Hailey Wagner led with a game high eight draw controls.
· Galvin had another fantastic day in goal, finishing with 18 saves and a .642 save percentage.
· Morgan Jaycox finished the day with three assists.
· Jaycox moves into fifth for single season assists with 26 on the season.
· Mehalick ties for ninth for single season goals with her 44th on the season against Fairfield.
· George’s three assists and five points are all career highs.
· Galvin’s 157 saves on the season puts her at seventh in a single season.
The Red Foxes return home to face Niagara, who is currently tied with Marist for second place in the MAAC. Game time is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. For more Marist Women’s Lacrosse info click here GoRedFoxes.com-