Report from Marist Athletics
POUGHKEEPSIE, New York – Four Red Foxes scored in double figures as the Marist Women’s basketball team wins its eighth straight Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) victory, downing Canisius 58-47 on Play 4 Kay day in McCann Arena. With the victory, the Red Foxes improved to 16-10 overall and 12-2 in conference play. Canisius falls to 8-17 overall and 6-8 in the league.
Four Red Foxes Score In Double Figures In Marist’s Eighth Straight Win
Marist led 18-13 after one.
After scoring on its first basket to start the second, the Red Foxes went on a nearly seven-minute scoring drought. Despite the drought and going 1-for-10 in the quarter, Marist locked in on the defensive end and held on to a 22-20 lead at half.
Halfway through the third, Marist couldn’t be stopped hitting five straight attempts from the field, jumping out to a nine-point lead, 40-31.
The Foxes closed it out on the defensive end as Canisius only hit 3-of-12 field goal attempts in the fourth.
“When we’re not clicking on offense we know we have to pick it up on the defensive end. Championship teams are made on the defensive end, I really believe that,” – Grace Vander Weide.”
• Rebekah Hand led Marist in scoring with 15 points.
• Marist had four players score in double digits. Rebekah Hand (15), Alana Gilmer (11), Maura Fitzpatrick (11), Grace Vander Weide (11).
• The Red Foxes shot over 50% from the floor in the first and third quarter but went a combined 5-for-23 in the second and fourth.
• Marist led for 32:56.
• Marist has won 29 of their last 31 meetings against Canisius.
• Marist has won eight straight games including eight straight home games
• Alana Gilmer has made her last 21 free throws.
Marist travels to Fairfield on Wednesday in the team’s next Metro Atlantic Conference Game. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.